Sunday, July 7, 2013

Depression



This photo was posted on Depression-Guide.com. I believe this photo is relevant to my research question "Should Colorado taxes be increased to abolish the wait list of hundreds of intellectually disabled adults, who are in desperate need for services?", because it shows the stress level of the caretaker and the sadness of the disabled individual. Since the photograph was taken from a "depression" website, the original context was to show the general public what it is like for both a disabled individual and their caregivers. 
I think I have a unique vantage point in viewing this photo. I have been a mother/caretaker to my son for twenty one years. With my perspective, I can see that the caretaker is Mom. The man in the picture is leaning in on the woman trying to receive some comfort. He looks sad, yet comforted by his mother's presence. 
His posture also reflects his gratitude towards Mom for helping him with his meal. I have seen this in many intellectually disabled; they never cease to be grateful for what you will do for them. My own son never forgets to thank me for the meals I serve him. He too not only needs help with the preparation of meals, but he also needs it cut for him.
I can't help but notice the three beverage cans next to the man's plate. This shows me that the man would rather fill up on drinks, and Mom has to encourage food intake. This also is common. My own son can drink over a gallon of fruit juice in one day. I have to constantly try to limit his intake, so that he will consume higher quality calories. 
When I see this picture, I wonder where the rest of the family is. The man is obviously an adult. Have the other siblings grown into adulthood and left the home? Where is Dad? Is Dad out working to provide for them? My guess is that like many other marriages that have disabled children, Mom and Dad are divorced. In my experience, it is not always Mom who ends up being the permanent caretaker; sometimes it is the Dad's. Nonetheless, here is a single caretaker. In this case it is Mom. 
As I view the environment they are in, I can see that they are not at a traditional table. It looks as if they are seated in the living room, on a couch. It is not uncommon for individuals and caretakers to have a hard time utilizing regular dining room tables. I also notice the lack of decoration in the home. The wall is a basic "move-in" color. This suggests that they are not in a financial position to afford decorations and paint. It may also represent that Mom does not have the time to indulge in such frivolous activities. 
Can you see the stress on Mom's face and also the sadness of the son's face? Through her love of her son she is devoted to taking care of her son, but she is weary of the task. I can tell by her look that she does not have the help she needs to adequately care for her son and herself. She looks clean, but she is wearing simple clothing and a "brush and go" hairdo. This also suggests her daily time constraints. The son, although comforted by Mom's presence, looks lonely. How many days do you think this man spends alone with only his mom for company? 
In choosing this picture, my hope is that the general public will see not only the taxing amount of care and time needed to provide for the intellectually disabled, but also how lonely these individuals must be without community. These are the things that are provided by the state once you are taken off of the wait list for services. Once again, I ask why this family and all the other families in this situation have to wait to get the services they so desperately need. What can we do as a community to find the resources necessary to alleviate the waiting list?

Works Cited

Intellectually Disabled with Caretaker. Digital image. Depression-Guide.com. Depression-Guide.com,     2012. Web. 7 July 2013.


5 comments:

  1. The image seems to represent the mother being the boy's caretaker. The way that he is leaning on her might be his way of saying I need you or thank you for being there for me. Either way he is leaning on his mother for help and nourishment. And the express on the mother's face seems to be she is tired maybe frustration. I know there are time that I do get a little impatient with my because he seems to not do things for himself even when you can. You did bring up some really good questions about the family. Where is the dad? Are there any siblings? Is she single or married? I know most married couples usually end up divorcing because of the pressure that the marriage takes when there is a child with a disability. So you did ask some really good questions. Hope to read more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed, in a good way, at how much meaning you can get out of a picture. This is indeed a good picture to represent depression, as the looks on their faces immediately give the impression that they're both emotionally and physically drained. When I first glanced at it and saw the multiple empty cans in a picture associated with depression, I thought of a drinking problem, but I can see how your personal insight into the situation would lead to a different analysis. I saw the male leaning on the female, not necessarily to show that he's comfortable with her or grateful, but that he's distraught over not being able to handle feeding himself. I didn't even know there was such a waiting list, so I'm interested in seeing where your blog goes from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,

    Interesting thoughts about how the son is leaning in on the caretaker. In my experience, often the intellectually disabled do not understand how "needy" they are. They don't understand that they "can't" and everyone else "can."

    ReplyDelete
  4. you Can play daily online ,live cricket games,
    cricket online games,best cricket games,play cricket online, cricket game online at best cricket games app for android phones to win real
    cash and amount to instant approve in your bank or Paytm wallet.
    cricket online games
    play cricket online

    ReplyDelete

  5. Thanks for showing that kind of knowledge on your portal.
    You have done all good.
    I love to see you again with some new content.

    Cheap Plane Tickets

    ReplyDelete